Wednesday, June 17, 2020

The Bullet Journal: The Art of Intentionally Living




        I am sure most people have heard of a bullet journal by now, but if you have not let me enlighten you 
on the amazing world of the Bullet Journal. The bullet journal was created by a man named, Ryder Carrol, Ryder had learning disabilities, after countless attempts and fails he found a system that worked for him instead of against him. He describes the idea of the bullet journal on his website, and I would like to share it with you, "Bullet Journal® is a methodology. It's best described as a mindfulness practice disguised as a productivity system. It's designed to help you organize your what while you remain mindful of your why. The goal of the Bullet Journal is to help its practitioners (Bullet Journalists) live intentional lives, ones that are both productive and meaningful." In simpler terms the bullet journal is a "journal" that allows you to take chaotic schedules, thoughts, and ideas and put them all in one place. This may sound intimidating, but the idea of this is to create your own method that works. For me that means, that I have a monthly lay out, which includes all the days of that month and my goals. In that monthly spread I am able to mark important days, with keys (pictured below) it allows me to have a birds eye view of my month.

      I then go into my weekly lay out. This section will include all the tasks I need to accomplish that day, whether it be personal or schoolwork.I also have my meal plan for the week with a grocery list. I know your thinking "This sounds like a regular planner, why would I waste my time creating one?" I hear you, I hear you, but there is so much more to this beauty. I have spread dedicated to me going to nursing and what classes I need to take as well as the steps I need to get done to make it happen.
 Not only is it organized, it also motivates me because I can see what I am working towards. I also have a big ideas page, budgeting page, savings page, habit trackers, and in between ALL of that I have pages where I have poured out my heart onto the pages writing whatever comes to mind. Now I have been bullet journaling for a few years now, so I have learned what works for me. I can't tell you how many wasted pages I have created only to realize, that it didn't work for me, but that is the beauty of it! You are allowed to evaluate and change your pages, since you are in fact the creator. Bullet journaling is much like writing a paper. Your first draft will undoubtedly be worse then your final draft, but each time you analyze and critique you create something more beautiful. I think Ryder Carrol says it best the bullet journal method is "The art of intentional living." So, why not give it a try? You may even find that life is just so much more enjoyable when you are intentionally living.






2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great concept. I may try this. Have you thought of doing a bullet journal in a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought about having a blog, I've even researched some to see my options, but I've actually never thought about making a blog for my bullet journaling, that's actually an awesome idea, thanks Mr. Hamon!!

    ReplyDelete

Disappointment, don't let it define you.

Disappointment. A single word that causes people to picture a time in their lives where life just didn't play out the way we thought it ...