Monday, June 29, 2020

Yes, there is a road map to writing a paper (post 7)

There I was sitting in front of my computer, staring at my next assignment for my English class. I knew the things I wanted to say, but I felt lost. I would type one sentence then erase, type a different sentence. erase. My brain just felt like it had so many thoughts swimming in confusion. I was proud of my first assignment and that paper seemed to write itself, but now I could even string a sentence together. Then it hit me, write an out line. I grabbed a pen, paper, and started writing. No thinking, no strategy just writing. I needed to see the words in front of me so that I could be begin to organize my thoughts. Hand cramping, I was done, I had a mess of words, but at least there were words. Now it was time to organize my thoughts. I began dissecting and organizing my thoughts.  I took the main points of what I wanted to talk then I put my supporting information under those main points. Finally, I could see the road map I made for this paper. I breathed a sigh of relief, I can do this, I can in fact write this paper. With my road map beside me I was able to write the rough draft of my paper. I can not emphasize enough the importance of writing an outline, especially when writers block hits. By writing an outline you are giving yourself structure so that when you get lost you can easily get back on track. What if the only thing standing between you and an A paper was an outline? Get out that pen, paper and write that outline, you will not be disappointed. 

3 comments:

  1. Now I want to go and write an outline. The outline can make a difference between an A paper and a C paper. Paper and pencil is how we started things back in primary school so there is nothing wrong with continuing to use it. I am also a person that likes to type out their ideas as long as I can see it, I can make something out of it. I like the way you started the post. This has been me on several ocassions, trying to think about what I want to say, typing sentences and never sticking with them. Sometimes, I will take a break and do something else with the hopes that when I come back, I have something to write. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A road map is perfect symbolism for an outline. And I'm a believer in writing on paper first, it's like you grasp the concept better. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making an outline can make a difference in how you write. Once you start it will tend to come easier each time you write an outline.

    ReplyDelete

Disappointment, don't let it define you.

Disappointment. A single word that causes people to picture a time in their lives where life just didn't play out the way we thought it ...