Sunday, July 5, 2020

Am I Doing This Right? MLA Format.

When starting this course I felt comfortable with writing. Now I am not saying I am perfect, but my high school professor for English was one that wanted us to be able to think and write for ourselves. He truly wanted us to be prepared for college,and I honestly felt prepared. That is until I heard the dreaded words MLA format. I am sure I have heard that phrase thrown around a time or two, but I don’t believe I ever had to write in that format. Needless to say I was lost in Mordor, with a powerful ring, and absolutely no idea where to take this ring so that I can destroy it. (Sorry guys I binged Lord Of The Rings for about the millionth time this past week). I felt like I had fairly strong documents, but the MLA format was causing so many issues, simply because I did not know how to format correctly. I went to my brother and explained my issue, he understood because he had been in my same position years before when he was in college. Thankfully, he came back to me with a pocket manual in hand. “A Pocket Style Manual” by Diana Hacker, has been my saving grace for learning MLA format. This Manual has so covers everything from Grammar, to something called Chicago Papers ( I clearly haven’t gotten to that part yet). With this handbook in hand I feel confident that I can write a paper, analyze said paper and get the grade I worked so hard for. I highly recommend this manual to anyone who feels a bit lost when it comes to writing. I want to also attach a link for this manual, check it out, it may be your saving grace as well.



2 comments:

  1. I really like that included your research tool as well as the link and picture, that is really helpful for people who are looking for it. I also really like that you went to someone with experience instead of giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very good read. I like the fact that you included links to assist those of us that are having trouble with MLA formatting.

    ReplyDelete

Disappointment, don't let it define you.

Disappointment. A single word that causes people to picture a time in their lives where life just didn't play out the way we thought it ...