Monday, June 29, 2020

A lol society

" lol see you soooooonnnn!" That text is my latest form of writing. If I wrote like that on any assignment, people would most likely think I fell asleep on my keyboard. It's absolutely a form of writing, but in texting we are able to put aside the rules of writing by using emojis, slang, and the basic standard of which we write a word. ( Except you're and your it drives me insane when used improperly) Texting is the number one way to have a conversation with someone day to day. We are not required to be eloquent or very thoughtful in our texts. This form of writing can cause issues in academic writing because texting is a form of communication we read and write everyday. I can say lol at the end of a sarcastic comment. I can't say lol in a paper to convey that same sarcasm. In academic writing we are required to be more thoughtful, so that our papers are not a jumbled mess of thoughts. I believe that this is the hardest part of academic writing. We have to mentally shift from a form of writing we are accustomed to, to a more professional way of writing. This brain block can cause issues when professional writing comes into play, but clearly it is possible because I am writing to you right now. I am already more thoughtful, because this is a blog post not a text message to friend. For me, I keep a journal it allows me to brain dump without rules, but it also allows me to write with a purpose. Yes, texting is an important tool for communication in our society, but it will not further our abilities in writing. I encourage you to get outside of your comfort zone and to start writing with intent, by doing so you are growing as a writer. Take some time today and write, write your thoughts for the day, or if your stuck there are plenty of journal prompts online. The future needs good writer, why not be one of them?

1 comment:

  1. Uhh … do you mean "if you're stuck?" Sorry — I couldn't resist.

    But you make a strong point. Texting reinforces our connections to people we already know, but academic writing helps us connect to a wider world. We need a more formal apparatus to manage those connections. It's a bit like dressing up for a job interview versus wearing your old jeans for coffee with a friend. Your life will be better if you can do both competently.

    ReplyDelete

Disappointment, don't let it define you.

Disappointment. A single word that causes people to picture a time in their lives where life just didn't play out the way we thought it ...