Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Dusty Post- it Notes

I suppose we have all thought of or written letters to our future self. Even if we did not write them our internal dialogue is constantly running with things to never forget, never touch that hot stove again, remember to actually turn on the dryer, or remember the hurt you feel and never let it happen again. We could go on and on about the small statements we remember so our future self does not run into that same issue. Are these statements letters? Well, no. I would say they are more like post-it notes in our brain  we breeze by every so often, but they are words that our future self "reads". The idea of "future self" can be a tad intimidating( at least for me it is) and at times something we don't want to think about, but and I mean HUGE BUT HERE, by allowing ourselves to think and dream about the future we are giving hope to ourselves. We are imagining the potential of future, which in turn allows us to plan for that future. I follow a blog called " Nurse Keith's Digital Door Way". He posted a particular blog called " A message to Nurses Future Self", as i was reading this article with my cup of coffee i stumbled across this paragraph,

"So nurse, it's twenty years in the future, and you have two more decades of nursing under your belt. You've cared for thousands of patients, held thousands of hands, and looked into thousands of pairs of eyes. What do you remember, and what do your patients recall? What stands out for you? How does your career compare to your expectations, dreams and aspirations? How would you like that 20 years to live in your mind and heart? You can create it now."

Now I am far from being a nurse, but 10 years ago a dream started to take shape in my heart and then it created a post it in my brain. It took 10 years for me to actually pick up that post it note  and take action, but the important part is I took action. Now do I know where my future self in twenty years will be? Not completely, but I will be able to stand with my head high knowing that my previous self cared enough about my future self to take action and accomplish the goal set before me today. I challenge you to question yourself, pick up those dusty post-it notes in your brain. You are capable of accomplishing every goal you have ever wanted. Look into your future with wide eyes and start creating your future today. 

 Keith Carlson RN,BSN, NC-BC. April 13.2020 https://digitaldoorway.blogspot.com/ "A message to Nurses Future Self"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disappointment, don't let it define you.

Disappointment. A single word that causes people to picture a time in their lives where life just didn't play out the way we thought it ...